Table of Contents
DoorDash is a food delivery service like Uber, Lyft, Postmates, and many others. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be a part of its team, we have some insider secrets on becoming a DoorDash driver in your region.
So if you’re considering it as a side hustle, then this post is for you. You’ll learn how the DoorDash driver system works behind the scenes, and how to become a Dasher yourself.
How much do DoorDash drivers make?
DoorDash drivers make less on one order in regions with high demand. E.g. New York. Locations like that have higher opportunities to get customer orders.
So the amount of money you can make as a DoorDash Driver varies and depends on the location you’re delivering for. The good news is that your earnings as a DoorDash Driver is not limited to customer orders.
You can also earn from tips and special promotions run by DoorDash. DoorDash also contributes $2 to $10 for each order you receive.
So overall, becoming a doordash driver depends on the following:
- Contributions from DoorDash (the base pay)
- Tips from customers
- Special promotions organized by DoorDash
Do DoorDash drivers see tips before delivery?
As a DoorDash driver, you can see how much a customer decides to tip you even before you’ve accepted their order. There are certain cases where a customer doesn’t input the tip, but may decide to hand it to you after the delivery.
In such scenarios, the customer can correct the order info after the delivery and input the tip amount. You can still see the altered tip info after the customer has made the correction.
100% of DoorDash tips belong to you. That means no percentage of it is going to DoorDash.
How long does it take to become a DoorDash driver?
Well, first you need to ensure that you meet the requirements to become a DoorDash driver (see the next section for the requirements). Once you’re certain that you fit the requirements, you can apply for the position of a DoorDash driver through the application page on the official website.
When you get there, you’ll need to fill in the application form and verify your identity. It takes a maximum of 30 minutes to finish up the application. Once you complete the application, you’ll need to wait until you receive an activation kit from DoorDash. Usually, they send the activation kit through the mail. This will take 4 to 7 days.
Your activation kit contains everything you need in becoming a DoorDash driver. This includes:
- A hot bag: an insulated bag for food protection and warmth.
- DoorDash driver manual: to give you orientation on your roles as a DoorDash driver.
- Red card: a type of credit card DoorDash drivers can use to pay for customer orders.
Note that: Becoming a DoorDash driver is free, so you shouldn’t expect to pay any registration fees.
Requirements for becoming a DoorDash driver
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must have access to a vehicle. It can be a scooter, bicycle or car.
- You must have a valid driver’s license and Social Security Number.
- You must be willing to consent to a background check.
How to be a DoorDash driver
Here are the trusted steps on how to be a DoorDash driver:
- Go to the DoorDash driver application page and key in your postal code. Then click on “Next”.
- Fill in your personal details into the provided boxes. E.g. your name, email, phone number, etc.
- Enter your driver’s license and insurance information. If you don’t have a car of your own, you can rent one from services like Hertz. But you must be able to provide the above details for the vehicle.
- Read the disclosures and terms of agreement. You will be subjected to a background check if you agree to continue. This background check is aimed at fishing out records of sexual offenses, DUIs (Driving Under the Influence), and felonies.
- Fill in your home address details so that DoorDash can mail you your activation kit once you’ve been accepted.
- You might need to complete an orientation class or session online. This will prepare you for your role as a DoorDash driver.
Is it worth it to be a DoorDash driver?
As a DoorDash driver, you will earn around $20 to $30 per hour. If you’re also lucky to work at the peak pay hours, you can make extra cash with tips. The tips are completely yours and you work part-time, so you’re not fully under the stress of a 9 to 5 job with low pay. But the downside to becoming a DoorDash driver is that you’re responsible for withholding your taxes.
But considering all the work conditions, we’d say that it’s worth it to become a DoorDash driver.
Now that you know how to be a DoorDash driver, here are some related articles with tips on working for delivery services and grocery stores:
- Is working for Instacart worth it?
- 10 Tips for working in a grocery store as a beginner
- Should You Tip Walmart Grocery Delivery Drivers?
Irene is a Freelance content writer who helps professionals and startups build an audience with original content online. She has written over +100 articles, and is backed up by 3 years experience. She loves gaming and listening to music, while she’s not tapping furiously on her laptop.